Monday, March 28, 2011

Million Dollar Baby

I started reading Million Dollar Baby by clpsuperstar yesterday in response to discussion (aka campfire, aka CF) on ADF, "Romanticizing the Unromantic". No specific fics were mentioned in the discussion and considering there were well over a hundred replies, that's pretty good. However, I asked someone to PM me with some recs for the type of fic in question as I hadn't read many... Although, that didn't stop me from having an opinion.

Someone was kind enough to send two PM's actually with a ton of recs and her thoughts on them. I've heard of MDB before so I decided to start there.

So, I have finished 8 chapters and have basically decided it's PWP with an attempt at humor in a dark setting. The lemons are pretty hot but that's not exactly hard to find in this fandom. I need more than that to keep me reading. Like a fic has to be readable even if it were stripped of it's lemons. I am not sure MDB has that going for it.

The characters are extremely OOC which I have no problem with but, I think in these cases the author has to put in more effort to create some attachment to the characters. Like make me believe it, ya know? Plus, I think the humor is not exactly my personal sense of funny and dialog is only so, so. This might be due to the fact that the author is in her 30's (according to her personal blog) and her characters are in their 20's. Maybe this is her attempt to write younger? I dunno. I will say she seems to enjoy it and that definitely comes across in her writing. This is essential to a compelling read, imo.

I am not saying it not entertaining. It has at least 10,000 reviews so I know other people must agree with me there. It's just that the way the characters respond to each other is difficult for me to believe. I know this is fiction and I know it's supposed to be the authors fantasy but still... If someone you purchased for a million bucks - for the intent purpose of pleasuring you - got pissed and set a package of lingerie on fire in your driveway I don't think the typical response would be "That's okay, I understand." JS.

I doubt I will read much further -- not because of a moral issue or even lack of entertainment value but because of a lack of believability. But who knows, I am known for changing my mind.

EDIT: I forgot to mention my favorite part about this fic - shame on me! Clpsuperstar has created her own original character "Gay Gabe" who happens to be Bella's bff. I heart him, hard. He is so funny and his voice is so natural. Love him. He reminds me of so many people, you know the RL, nonfictional kind of people. I'm wondering if he shows up in her other fics? She mentioned something about only seeing snippets of him in one of her a/n's.  It made me think that he made bigger appearances in her other fics. Also, she is working on publishing an original fic. I would be much more interested in reading her own her than another fanfic. That's thing about fanfics.... They do tend to box you in. She is probably not one for the box. Which is a good thing. I will definitely try to get my hands on her book when it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment