Sunday, March 27, 2011

WitFit Prompt for Saturday, Mar 26

So Saturday prompt are "multimedia" as in, I am to image/youtube search the prompt word. The prompts for yesterday were: Mendicant (a new one on me), fairy and libriarian.

I didn't get to write because I had my brother and his wife over for dinner last night and evening is really the only time I have to write but, I did learn a new word (which I need to research a bit more thoroughly) so it's not a total loss.

men·di·cant
[men-di-kuh nt]
–adjective
1.
begging; practicing begging; living on alms.
2.
pertaining to or characteristic of a beggar.

–noun
3.
a person who lives by begging; beggar.
4.
a member of any of several orders of friars that originally forbade ownership of property, subsisting mostly on alms.

This word clearly has a religous conotation to it although technically it means begging. Most of the images I found were of monks, I would say Buddhist monks but I don't really know for sure. All I know is that they did not appear to be Christian. Which is why I want to research my new word a bit more. I feel like I am missing out on a finer point of it's meaning.

I did find this corresponding image for Mendicant several pages down in my search which I saved... Who knows maybe I will use it someday. This painting really sparks my imgagination.

Love's Mendicant by Stephanie J. Frostad

No comments:

Post a Comment